Friday, October 9, 2009

Pickup Game

Two of the men that study/work here at YCMES and myself invested in a soccer ball. We didn’t even get through the front gate to the college before it was spotted by one of the Yemeni guards and within minutes we had a group of over ten Yemeni men, myself and my two gringo compadres. Soccer is a popular past time in the Middle East, probably because it can be played anywhere with no equipment with the exception of a ball. The Yemeni men had quick footwork that kept us on our feet, but I’m proud to say I can still hold my own on the soccer field (or in this case, back alley). Some of the Yemenis even got over the fact that I’m a woman and pushed back when I went in for the kill. Baby steps people, baby steps.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I applied the same mentality to our ethnically mixed soccer game, taking off my shoes to play barefoot like the Yemenis. The other motivation was that ball control is increased with bare feet as oppose to sandals or tennis shoes. Being as competitive as I am combined with the fact that I was the only female there and probably the only one they would ever see play soccer in real life, the pressure was on. My feet paid the price for my performance, emerging from the game bloody and slightly bruised, but well worth it. A few more rounds and I assume my feet will be broken in sufficiently for the long haul.
It was nostalgic to feel a soccer ball at my feet again. For those unaware, soccer and I go way back. Competitive soccer was an integral part of my life and the atmosphere under which I revisited it was reminiscent of a scene out of a movie. There we all were, with the sun setting over the ancient city of Sana'a, feeling against our soles the bare earth, glass, and rubble that line the streets and back allies of this foreign city as children curiously peered in from the edge of the alleyway. Epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment