Thursday, October 15, 2009

Busy Busy Busy

Sorry for being MIA for so long. Starting this new job has proven much more time consuming than originally assumed. In addition to trying to tie up loose ends with the Amsterdam and Yemeni student exchange program and planning and supervising new events and trips for the foreign students here, I’ve also been working on writing two articles for the Yemen Times, one on a tourist destination and another on women’s healthcare in Yemen (or lack there of). YCMES is also considering hiring me part time as a nurse of sorts for their English language school (YALI). In the States I'm a Registered Nursing Assistant which apparently is comparable to a Registered Nurse trained in Yemen. Also, as there are very few options for women who want to work out in Yemen, I’ve been collecting estimates on gym equipment at the few sports stores in the area, gathering donations from the students, and hoping to have a small gym set up by November. Additionally, I’ve been teaching abdomen and kickboxing classes five mornings a week at 6:30am as another option for the students here. It’s been pretty successful, but adds to my work load as I have to make up new routines and music compilations. And let’s not forget that I’m also trying to master Arabic, yet another time consuming endeavor and a process that I wish I could hurry along. I will probably still apply to work or volunteer at a women’s rights NGO, but may wait until next month once things calm down a bit. Inshallah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment