Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Cat Is Giving Birth In My Room!

"The cat is giving birth in my room!" is the phrase one of the female residents screamed down the hallway the other night around 2am. Remember folks, this is Yemen. There are a bunch of cats that run around the dorms and often sleep with the students. I was with Kyle when the commotion erupted and we both ran up the stairs in time to witness the birth of 3 kittens. Apparently, this specific cat only comes around to give birth in the Markez (the name of the building we live in, which translates to "the center square" in English). Kyle is keeping the mom and kittens in his room for the time being. Momma cat is funny in how trusting she is. Every time I visit she comes to my lap for some love then leaves me alone with her kittens for a good 10 minutes before returning. Free room and no charge babysitting service...no wonder she uses the Markez as her own personal birthing unit. Here are the babies right after they were born (two black and white kittens and one orange).

No comments:

Post a Comment