Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Some Things Never Change

I was walking home from work on Wednesday and saw a young boy looking into a garbage can. By garbage can, I mean a large cardboard box that the neighbors were throwing their trash into. A suspicious scene, so I went to investigate and low and behold there were three newborn kittens flopping around amongst the trash. Apparently, even in Yemen where people don't really have cats as pets, kittens still get thrown in the garbage. The last thing I need right now is to be waking up every two hours and dragging a litter of kittens around Yemen, but I also can't just leave three kittens to die, dirty and hungry in garbage dump. I grabbed them up, wrapped them in my shall, and took them home.
They are now clean and fat, though to be honest I doubt they'll live long. Its difficult enough to raise bottle babies in general, but in Yemen there is no such thing as kitten formula and while baby formula will suffice in the short term, it lacks a lot of the nutrients specific to feline needs. In addition, there are no kitten size bottles, so feeding through a syringe is tricky. They hate the plastic and its easier for them to asphyxiate, but they're adapting.
I've been fostering kittens for Humane Societies and various veterinary hospitals (as I'm a veterinary technician) since I was a kid and was enjoying it up to when I left for the Middle East. Most of my buddies back home laughed when I told them this and responded by saying they were glad to know that some things never change.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they make it through the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment