Saturday, February 13, 2010

Elevating Yemen One Woman At A Time

In addition to the Friedman article, I also covered a women's empowerment program know as the Springboard Program for Yemen Today magazine. The women in the program were very inspiring and welcoming. Feel free to check it out below:

 Elevating Yemen One Woman At A Time
           As I make my way down the third floor of the British Council in Sana’a, a door swings open and I am greeted by an eager and smiling young woman. Huda Saleem, the Women’s Development Program Manager at the British Council, radiates a warmth and sincerity that is difficult to find in the world of today, let alone in someone as young as she. “When women come here,” she tells me as I ask about her passion for this program, “They have a vague idea of what the program will do for them. When they finish, you see their faces and they say, ‘thank you, you’ve changed me for the better and you saved me.’ That makes me feel empowered. As a Yemeni woman, I have been through the same thing and I know that we need this.”
Huda leads me into a lively room, buzzing with the chatter of female voices as the thirty participants engage in discussion over their books; a scene rarely viewed in Yemen, even by a women herself. In the months I’ve resided in this country, gatherings of Yemeni women have tended to be excluded to the home over lunch, tea and the occasional qat session.
According to their website, the British Council strives to “build engagement and trust for the UK through the exchange of knowledge and ideas between people worldwide.” The Springboard Program is one initiative supported by the British Council that envelopes this vision and pushes it a step further. Developed specifically for women and designed to provide them the skills necessary to advance in the work force and in their personal lives, the program empowers women in the Middle East to recognize and meet their potential while encouraging them to challenge traditional roles and perceptions.
Working women seeking to take advantage of a job opportunity, progress in their field, heighten their confidence or improve their overall well being are encouraged to participate. The details of the program vary depending on the country and situation, but in Yemen, it consists of four workshops held on Thursdays from 8-5pm. Subjects covered include confidence building, personal evaluation, setting goals, assertiveness, maintaining a balanced lifestyle and a variety of other positive topics.
The Springboard Program, which originated in the United Kingdom, has since been expanding its influence, making its first appearance in Saudi Arabia in 2004 then migrating to other Middle Eastern countries, including Yemen in September 2007. In addition to celebrating its 21st anniversary in May of 2010, the Springboard program recently organized the first British Council Springboard Licensing Course for the Middle East in Beirut from July 12-20, 2009. This conference, composed of 30 women from organizations in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar and Oman, produced licensed trainers for the program, qualifying the attendees to instruct courses on self development customized to meet the needs of women in the Middle East. Completion of training ensures that the participants possess a strong knowledge of the Springboard Program and have fulfilled the challenging criteria established by the Springboard Consultancy.
Circulation of qualified trainers for the program also implies that the number of women and communities in the Middle East to benefit from this experience is on the rise. The Licensing Course is part of an expansion of regional projects in the Middle East to be conducted by the British Council with the greater aspiration of constructing a network of 20,000 Springboard alumni by 2012 and narrowing the gap of understanding between women in the Middle East and those in the UK.
In the conservative and traditional country of Yemen, it’s no secret that women are treated as second class citizens. Yemen was ranked last out of 130 countries in the 2008 World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap report and the estimated adult literacy rate for females by the UNDP in 2005 was only 34.7%. The testimony I received from the participants at the Springboard program overwhelmingly supported these findings.
Dr. Faiza Al-Maqtari, an optometrist, explains that “the problem is with basic human rights and luxuries; we don’t have them and there’s is no outlet with which to pursue them.” She proceeded to list examples of liberties Yemeni women are commonly denied, amongst them driving, going out at night, participating in activities without permission, and wearing clothing of their choice. “People don’t take me seriously in my profession and I’m not seen as an equal or as a qualified professional. Though I hold a high rank in society, I’m still subject to discrimination and disrespect.” Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of this society, as Dr. Faiza disclosed, “Is that those who are educated and who hold power that should be helping us, instead try to push us down. This problem is that of the world, but in some places and situations, you feel it more.”
The Springboard Program not only faces difficulties in empowering women, but in recruiting participation in a closed society. In addition to it interrupting work, school, and family responsibilities, a pharmacy student who I’ll refer to as SM, confesses that, “Many programs like this are seen as inspiring women to rebel against their family or society and teaches them to be selfish.”
SM does not agree with this conception. “There is a lot to learn from this program, you learn more about yourself and how to better communicate and express what you want.” One of the personal challenges SM faces is anger management, but she says, with the help of the program, “I’m regaining my confidence, learning to work on my anger issues, and seeing my own potential. It is helping me to set the steps I need to reach my goals and change the things about myself that I’d like to see improve.”
A veteran to such programs as the one Springboard offers, Bushra Nasr, a Project Analyst at the World Bank, feels that conquering the challenges of Yemeni society is a lifelong process. “Whenever I hear of these self development programs I just join because the atmosphere of this country tends to kill the enthusiasm you develop over time. I’ve managed to achieve everything I’ve wanted to. I started driving when I was a teen, studied abroad and even worked in Africa for a year. Now I want to be a trainer and send this spirit that I have to others and empower myself simultaneously.”
I was able to talk to these women at different intervals throughout the Springboard Program and observe their excitement grow and develop into determination. Participants expressed the change they felt within themselves from the first day. “This program is helping even within my home and this is only the second week. There have been positive changes for my family and for myself, culture, and friends,” praised Dr. Faiza.
The diversity of women in the program is worth noting. These participants come from various backgrounds, educations, governates, and age groups. Regardless of this, the women expressed a mutual respect for one another and were easily able to create a comfortable and open environment. Restricting classes to female participation is a main contributor to furthering development. This is an especially vital component in Arab cultures, where the male position is more likely to dominate conversation and inhibit honesty amongst female participants.
During the program’s last session, the women shared their reservations about the future. Hana’a Alherdi, Head of the Young Women’s Department at the Yemeni Youth Union confessed, “I knew before the program started that I must be strong, and even with reading the books and lectures it was difficult to erase all the weakness in myself and face the real society. Paper is one thing, but it is reality that is most challenging. Trying to maintain what I’m learning and honestly achieve my goals once the program is over, that is the challenge ahead.” This was a widespread fear amongst the women here, despite the fact that the program sets up a support group and networking options.
Hana’a Alherdi, like all the women I spoke to, found the structure of the program to be an effective one. In addition to the lectures and substance of the activities, Hana’a found that most importantly, “the material in the book was very simple to read and understand.” Also, “The ideas in the book can be turned into words and then into actions so we can understand what it means to be strong, empowered, and developed, then act on it accordingly.”
While all of the women agree that the Springboard Program is beneficial and is helping them meet their goals, they also had recommendations for improvement. Mainly, the women wanted the program to run for longer than the allotted four weeks. Furthermore, most agree that the cost, while subsidized, is still too expensive and that the program needs to be expanded to reach as many women as possible.
            Currently, the program has trained 156 women in Yemen from a range of governates including Sana’a, Adan, Taiz, and Hodeidah. The two categories offered (one for teenagers and one for women 20 and above) ensure that no woman gets excluded on the basis of age. The challenges women must confront to lead lives equal to that of their male counterparts is frustrating, overwhelming and continuous, but Hana’a Alherdi has faith that it can be accomplished. “We have to start with building ourselves first then we can build the society; we must start from the bottom.” Hana’a believes “that women well educated will break the walls they face in their society one step at a time.” She says, “This is my principle and how I faced the issues with my family.”
            I’ve reiterated the testimony of a few of the women I spoke with, but all of them had something to say and where eager to get the attention of someone willing to listen. Experiencing the strength and unity of these women in the midst of such a tremendous struggle is both moving and inspiring, and with the help of initiatives like the Springboard Program, it’s only a matter of time before the second half of the population begins to actively reshape Yemeni society.

No comments:

Post a Comment