Monday, February 8, 2010

Languages

I have always admired those fluent in many languages and traveling abroad has inspired me to become fluent not only in Arabic, but in Russian, Chinese, and Italian as well. I'd also like to study Hebrew so I can catch some slack from my Israeli buddies whenever they send out group messages or updates and I have to ask for a special translation because, as they know, I can't read Hebrew.
I've taken French for a good seven years and while I'm a little rusty, I decided to seize the opportunity to brush up on the language when I was offered a tutoring position. I'm enjoying the experience though teaching French to Yemeni's in combination of broken Arabic, English and French has proven to be somewhat challenging. In addition, another issue seems to have resurfaced in reminding my brain of its French abilities. When I first started learning Arabic, whenever my professor would ask me a question, my first response (mentally) was always in French. Thankfully I never answered in French, but I had to then rethink the question a second time in Arabic, often making for a somewhat awkward response time. It took me a year or so to move past this and while the same pattern hasn't completely adopted its old form, I have started to unintentionally bring French words into my thinking when speaking in Arabic.
My brain continues to slack on its organizational abilities, but in the mean time I hope I can train it to separate one language from another.

No comments:

Post a Comment