Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tourism Article on Zakatin

When planning a vacation filled with outdoor adventures, ancient architecture, and beautiful beaches, Yemen is rarely a country that comes to mind for the average traveler. Truth be told, Yemen is thriving with unknown history and unique locations, so much so that it’s easy to pass right through a worthy tourist site without even recognizing it. This is exactly the scenario that would have unfolded on my way to Zakatin had I not been in the company of the local population.
My van crept its way around the winding mountain roads that decorate this region of Yemen (Zakatin is around 50 kilometers west of Sana’a) and came to a halt at the side of the freeway without any indication that we had arrived. I followed my guide across the freeway we had just veered from as a line of children, who seemed to emerge from the rocky landscape itself, trailed behind. Approaching the opposite side of the road, it became obvious what the mountain side had been hiding. To my left, an ancient town rising from the inside of the bluff stared back at me and I was embarrassed for not noticing the heftiness of village fortress beforehand. To the right, I found a trial leading down, up and through various ancient buildings, providing a brilliant view of Zakatin itself, not to mention to countryside below.
This architecture was not lacking in its size or design, but due to the color and texture of the stone, wood and dirt used to construct the village, it seemed to blend in with the rest of the surroundings. Making my way from left to right, I climbed up a lengthy staircase in order to reach the inside of Zakatin. I was taken aback by the simple beauty of the old doors, brick rooms, and darkened crevasses that composed the homes and buildings of this once flourishing town. Currently, it is only inhabited by a handful of families.
I continued further upward and the more I climbed, the more aware I became of Zakatin’s position, resting 3000 meters above sea level. The altitude was prevalent, but proved to be a fair exchange for the view at the top. Mountains, valleys, and distant towns were some of the spectacles to be observed and all the while, children scattered the rooftops playing games of chase with metal rods and wheels. When I visited there were no other tourists and the isolated atmosphere added to the authenticity of the experience.
While this location is worth a visit, the town won’t take too long to explore once you’re there; maybe an hour or so. You may want to check out Buker, Kowkaban, Shebam, Hababah, Tawila, Chuba, or Jebel Honum, as all are close by. Zakatin is somewhat isolated and if you plan on spending the night in the area, it’s recommended to head off to one of the neighboring locations just mentioned in order to find adequate accommodation.

No comments:

Post a Comment