Friday, November 20, 2009

Internship with Sister's Arab Forum

Below are some of the goals to I wish to accomplish while I'm abroad:

1.) Experience as much of the culture and conflict from as many angles as possible
2.) Drastically improve my Arabic (inshallah! as they say here or "by God's will")
3.) Gain experience working in the field of human rights through research, publication, and direct contact

I'm trying my best to achieve these goals and others in the time given to me. I'm busier than I've been since college, and older, so I'm starting to feel it. But since I've developed a pattern of pushing myself to the max then adding something else to my plate, I figure, why diverge now? Thus, this week I will be starting an internship with Sister's Arab Forum, a non governmental organization that focuses on promoting intellectual, cultural, social, political and legal rights with the full participation of women with the aim of establishing gender equality. They seem to have a strong hand in various areas of human rights. For instance, two projects I will be working on will include researching and investigating involuntary disappearances (where citizens simply go missing without explanation as a result of being taken by the Yemeni government) and refugee profile documentation, especially for children, as a result of the war in Sada, Yemen.
In addition to being a strong organization with a reputable name, hardly anyone there speaks any English so I'm hoping this will also be an opportunity to improve both my spoken and written Arabic language skills. I will provide more information on the experience after I officially begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment