Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yemen Today

I think I've mentioned before that I've started writing articles for Yemen Today magazine. It's not the most prestigious publication, but one of the best I've seen in Yemen. This month I've written articles on Zakatin and Buker, two tourist sites, for the a section they've decided to dedicate strictly to destinations worth visiting in Yemen. Unfortunately, there is little to no information available on either of these places online or in the few tourist books I own, so my articles really focused more on my experience than on factual information. I've included both in the following posts in case you wanted to read about them. I'll also post some of the pictures I took at the cites so keep a look out.
In addition to tourism I also decided to write about women's health care or lack there of, in Yemen. I've had to delay the publishing date because both female gynecologists I set up appointments with bailed on me at the last second or in the interview itself. Who'd have thought health care would be such a touchy subject? However, I've scheduled an interview this week with yet another female gynecologist so hopefully this one will pull through.
As soon as I finish the article on health care I'll post it online. In the mean time, I've interviewed a local Yemeni woman about her views in this area to get a feel for how Yemeni women feel towards this subject. The woman I interviewed is 23, well educated, fluent in English and wished to be left anonymous, so I'll refer to her as Aicha. Some of her testimony will be included in the article, but if you'd like to see what she had to say on a grander scale, I'm also posting her interview after the two tourism articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment