Thursday, November 5, 2009

Running Joke

Every weekend I plan a day trip to a tourist destination in Yemen for the students to visit. It’s always nice to get away from the city for the day and the drive is usually entertaining since we’re all piled into the same bus. Where ever we go we’re generally a spectacle, but for whatever reason (probably because my hair refuses to stay brown, it keeps fading back to blond even though I’ve died it twice), I seem to draw the most attention. One of the students commented on this unfortunate phenomenon and asked if anyone had offered a price for me. I'd like to say he was joking, but unfortunately, that's a reality here. I told him only in Egypt, where a man had offered my male friend 300 camels in exchange for me.
The students, of course, loved this despite the obvious element of insult behind it. When we arrived at the town we were visiting that day, low and behold, what would happen, but for the local population to start a bidding war over yours truly. Impeccable timing. One man offered 700 camels, then the next went to 900, until reaching the final bid of 1500 camels. Apparently, I should be flattered by the grandeur of this bid, but please forgive me for not fainting with excitement. The male students thought this was hysterical and at one point I told Nate, a friend of mine, that if I saw him accept any camels from any one of the men here, they'd all be up shits creek without a paddle.
The incident has now become a running joke amongst everyone here. Whenever we're short on cash it never fails that someone will suggest offering my had in marriage. The boys especially love telling the story to the local Yemeni's here who, thankfully, don't equate my self worth with camels and therefore, can see the humor in the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment