Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oh, Yemen

Today was a good day. One that reminded me how much I do love Yemen and how, despite times of frustration, I could see myself living here for a longer period of time than planned.
My friend Marwa had myself, Kim and a mutual friend, Amal, over to her house for lunch today. Marwa pulled out all the spreads and served us a very impressive meal. After which we went to the the only bowling ally in Sana'a (and quite possibly in Yemen) and had a good laugh as we all pulled out our own bowling techniques.
After bowling, Kim and I then headed to a Yemeni professor's home on the outskirts of Sana'a University. Every Thursday from 4-9 he opens his house to Yemeni intellectuals, artists, and the like to join his family and provide a gateway to those in the foreign community. There is conversation, live music, poetry readings, and room for whatever else you care to express. Today there were folks from America, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, France, and Italy. Many continue to appear to the occasion week after week and I understand why. The relaxed atmosphere, opportunity to meet new people, local and foreign alike, the good food (sambosas-warm pastry filled with meat, vegetables and spices, plus date cookies, tea, etc.), provide a cozy surrounding reminiscent of that I get from family and friends at home. People range in age from youth to the elderly with a few children present.
As mentioned in a prior post, I've done well for myself in Yemen in terms of making it a home. I've been able to establish myself in the traditions here, I know the transportation system and general location of things, I've set up a friend base both local and foreign and become secure in the opportunities available to me (journalism, volunteering, tutoring, etc.).
I'm facing the same reality as the one at the end of my stay in Palestine: that I have a supportive and interesting community and life set up for myself, and people, adventures, and opportunities that I'll shortly be leaving behind.
The fact that this time around I will be coming home has been weighing on my mind and while I am in desperate need of a break, I wonder how long I will be able to stay country bound before longing to catch the next wind. I'm already trying to make a possible trip in September to the area as some good friends of mine in Israel will be having a baby this summer, two in Jordan will be getting married at this time, and one in Palestine keeps reminding me of how I didn't have time to properly say goodbye and therefore, owe them a visit.
I'm hoping I can make this happen, especially since I'd also like to revisit Dar Meir Musa in Syria for some spiritual rejuvenation. While I'm so grateful for all the wonderful people that have touched my life in my travels, the geographical distance that will continue to grow in the next week is a big downer.
There is so much to digest, not just from Yemen, but from Palestine and Israel as well. Right now, I'm too preoccupied with closing things up here, seeing friends, and tying off work to allow that to happen. Actually, I don't think its possible to fully let the experience settle as of yet since I'm still in it. The airplane ride back will certainly be an interesting one I'm sure.
Tomorrow I'm going to try to wrap up a proposal to the European Commission, do a little shopping in the Old City, head off to my friend Huda's home for dinner and an Arab movie night, then try to prepare myself for my last day in Yemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment