Sunday, January 3, 2010

Night Noises at Deir Mar Musa

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was able to produce some fluid writing while at Mar Musa. I don't really share my poetry with people, but this was created while I was in process of getting back on track. Its not quite poetry, but something in between that related to my perception of the place, so I thought I'd post it.

"I grace the edge of the monastery, breaching the boundary between sky and earth, illuminated by moon and starts, grounded by shadows of sand and stone. I am captivated by this place.
Suddenly the solitude is shared, accompanied by foreign whispers in the dark, distinguishable only by the familiar rhythm and occasional note that jarred my recognition of the long ago Italian that once danced at my dinner table. Utterances that seemed as near and as isolated as those that currently wielded the attention of my senses. I am captivated by this place.
By its feel, its smell, its colors, its voice. By the simplicity that attracts the complex. It speaks to me of a time that once was, in it's history and in mine. A time perceived one way, but lived another and of a present that seeks to find common ground while conserving the breath of the being. I am alive here, and I am captivated."

No comments:

Post a Comment