Saturday, June 20, 2009

To Lisa

This is a response to a comment by Lisa that was posted to one of the blogs that I published. First, I would like to thank her for reporting some inaccuracies in the post. It was not meant to be published at this time and instead of saving it as a draft it was published by mistake. The factual information in regards to the different kinds of Jews within Israel had not been researched. What was published was just me compiling my thoughts on what I had been told since I'd been here so nothing had been dissected or reorganized. It will reappear shortly after I sift through more information and I apologize to those who may have read it.
However, there were some things brought up by Lisa in her comment I would like to address. You said that, "Israel has varied mindsets and cultures, just like any other culture," and that people should not be lumped together. I agree with you. However, for the most part (and keep in mind this blog is based on my personal experiences) when it comes to politics, Israelis tend to be very united as a people. I believe here I brought up the issue of security because this is one example of where most Israelis, regardless of the differences in their religion or culture, tend to agree. Again, this is from my experience with the people that I have interacted with and for the most part, Israel always seems to be perpetually afraid of someone attacking them. I know it is dangerous to generalize any one belief to an entire people, but I have found that overall, Israelis share this fear. Furthermore, when it comes to dealing with the Palestinian population, a significant part of why they are afraid to share power is due to the fear of violence and retaliation (a fear that the actions of the Palestinians have not helped to sooth). Again, when referring to populations (such as the Palestinians and the Israelis) I do try to say things like "in general" or "this opinion is not shared by all" to try to show that there are some varied viewpoints. However, I also rely on the reader to use common sense and realize that no matter what culture or group you are talking about some variation almost always exists. In addition, there are opinions shared by the groups of people mentioned in my blog that are in overwhelming agreement on certain topics.
You also mentioned that, "not everything is Jerusalem," and I also agree. However, I live in Jerusalem and my office is based there so I have a lot of interaction in this area. It is also an area I find fascinating because of the diversity as far as what section of the city you are in (the differences between West and East, for example) and the cultural and religious elements that tend to be so visible. Contrary to the impression given in the post you responded to, I believe it is a very diverse city. I have traveled around to other parts of Israel, but I have not found opinions to differ overwhelmingly or in such great numbers. The exception to that is Tel Aviv.
I have spent time in Tel Aviv, and the people there and their opinions tend to differ so greatly from the rest of the country that I have often heard it referred to as "the state of Tel Aviv." This title is used because those inside of Tel Aviv (again, in general and from my experiences) are said to possess beliefs so varied from those outside of it that they are disconnected from the "real" Israeli culture and mentality. These are things I have heard repeated over and over by the Israelis living not only in Jerusalem, but throughout Israel. I have found myself, that those in Tel Aviv tend to be more liberal and open minded. They are also more judgmental in regards to their country and its actions especially with regard to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.
The posts I publish are partially to keep family and friends updated on what I'm doing and also to document the experience for myself and to provide a little insight into what is happening in this region based on my interactions. While I appreciate you following my blog and doing so with a critical eye, I also want you to keep in mind that I am writing from personal experiences. I also try to be fair in how I introduce the topics I write about and consider situations from various angles, especially because I know I have strong beliefs on a sensitive situation. Also, when I write about the opinions of the people here it is based on the statements of many from different areas (unless I have said otherwise).
Again, thank you for bringing this post to my attention and for the time you have spent following my experiences. You mentioned you would be coming to Israel yourself soon so if you need recommendations on places to stay/see or perhaps would like to discuss your own experiences with me while you're here, please feel free to let me know.

2 comments:

  1. i really didnt mean to cause such a stir, and I am sorry if it made you take your post down... that was not my goal. I understand this is a personal blog and following, I just wanted to point out the differences in Judaism, which is often overlooked by much of the world. I know at SCU I often felt lumped into the general Jewish group, and never got a chance to explain that there are so many groups that make up "Jews" that its hard to explain. i have lived in Israel, and when i say I am going back to Israel, I mean we are moving back there to live. i keep (and kept) blogs of my own on Israel, so I guess I am used to knowing that the blog-sphere is public... and that everything and anything can be commented on.
    please do not feel as if I was putting you on the defensive... I do enjoy reading different points of view on the conflict and the wide variety of life in Israel... I was just correcting a general religious misconception which I felt deserved to be pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't cause a stir at all. I'm glad you commented on the blog; that's part of the idea. As for your comments, the one's I disagreed with I addressed, but as I explained earlier, the post itself was NOT suppose to be published at this time as it simply wasn't finished. There's nothing you could have said that would have intimidated me to take down a post, so don't worry, that wasn't the issue. If I was that easy persuaded I wouldn't have lasted long in the area I'm in with the opinions I have. I realize and want the blog to be public, but if someone makes a statement I feel is inaccurate, I'm also going to comment on it.
    I'm sorry you felt categorized when you went to SCU. As far as religious beliefs go and culture surrounding those beliefs I recognize there is diversity in Judaism. However, it would be wrong of me to deny that the Jewish population in Israel does share (overwhelming so) the same positions on most things related to Israeli politics.

    ReplyDelete