Sunday, June 7, 2009

Belly Dancing

In order to further my cultural experience, I started taking belly dancing classes with Dina. For not understanding what the instructor is saying and for this being my first belly dancing experience, I’d say I’m not half bad. The dances are fun and of course, very sensual. I’ll have to take some pictures next time I go. Last Sunday after our class, Dina and I joined in for some traditional Israeli dancing in the building below. I may be decent at belly dancing, but I had no clue what was gong on in this dance experience. Thankfully, Dina didn’t either. The two of us were probably the only ones there under 50, but we both had fun laughing at ourselves through the experience. Everyone started out dancing in a circle and then would break off into different areas of the room depending on the place in the song (traditional Hebrew music with a slightly modern twist), and depending on the song itself. Each song had a different dance and there were alternate variations of each dance. It kind of reminded me of that scene in Fiddler on the Roof when the men are dancing to celebrate the engagement of Tevye’s daughter Tzeitel to the butcher Lazar Wolf, but fast forward a few years and add in two awkward young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment