Thursday, September 10, 2009

Weekend Trip to the North

Last weekend a few of my buddies from the UN and myself took a trip to the Golan Heights. I've composed a post below this one to provide some brief background information on the area for those of you who are unaware of its significance and history. Situated between Syria and Israel, the land here is different than any other I've seen in Israel and Palestine. There are many green hills and valleys along with fresh water springs and waterfalls. With as many rich resources as the area provides, especially water considering the shortage in the region, it is clear why Syria and Israel have been at odds over the land for so long. It was a wonderful thing to see so much green again and for a moment, it almost seemed like I was on a hike back in the States.
You can preview the trip by checking out the album below. We visited Baniass Falls, a near by spring, and the Temples of Pan and Zeus. On the way up we also stopped at Tiberias, the Jordan River and the Sea of Galilee. Alas, I did not walk on water and have since given up aspirations of prophet-hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment