Sunday, May 24, 2009

Persecution of a Palestinian Reporter

Its occurred to me I haven't gone into much detail when it comes to the work I'm doing so allow me to expand here. PHRMG documents human rights abuses in general, but focuses on how the Palestinian Authority torments their own people. One project I'm working on is a comparative essay outlining the use of torture by the Palestinian National Authority, Hamas, and Israel. This requires me to do a lot of online research, contact and interview individuals and families who have been victims of torture to record their testimony, and interview organizations who have had experience dealing with Hamas, the PA, or the Israeli Defense Forces. Once the information gathering is complete, I'll have to compile it appropriately in an essay format.
Another project requiring a slightly different approach is involvement with the case of Khaled Shaheen, a Palestinian reporter who has been detained and arrested by Israel under false premises. I went with Bassem, the organizational head, and his brother, the Minister of Jerusalem affairs, to interview Shaheen while he was under house arrest. The details of his story are in the blog entitled “Testimony.” After recording the sequence of events from Shaheen, I went back to the office to translate what was said into English and edited my own work a few times over. Then, I proceeded to search online for world wide press organizations that have an interest in preserving freedom of speech, the rights of reporters, and human rights in general. After compiling a sufficient list, I prepared an email that introduced Shaheen's case and requested that these organizations use their resources to help and spread awareness in whatever way possible.
I was going to wait until after Shaheen's trial, which I was going to attend on May 21st, to send out the email and possibly make some changes based on the decision of the court. Unfortunately, his trial was postponed, so he continues to be on house arrest (since his release from prison on January 16th).
Here's one article reference online if you want to check it out yourself. Shaheen's article is listed under the 15th of January:
www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,RSF,,PSE.4562d8cf2,4975960ec,0.html

No comments:

Post a Comment